Thursday 24 December 2015

A conceptual model linking causes and effects of disturbance/change in the Amazon basin

I had read the article "The Amazon basin in transition" a while back - and now that my blogging is soon coming to an end in a couple of weeks, I think it is useful to post this graphic produced by Davidson et al (2012). It shows the interactions between global climate, land use, fire, hydrology, ecology and human dimensions within the Amazon basin.


Please have a look and see how my blog posts fit to (or are controversial to!) this conceptual net of linkages: 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Loulou, a very interesting blog post with a very interesting graph of linkages. I think it is rather complete linking social, economic and environmental changes. Although it is specific for the Amazon Basin, I feel it summarises well a number of regions. I was wondering to what extent you agree with these linkages and you would add/subtract anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maria, thanks for your interest! While I do think it is a rather extensive and complete diagram, I don't agree with the hierarchy of some of the points. The bottom row seems to suggest the indirect adverse effects on human populations. These are rather inflated and bold to be seen - whereas, another end-point being 'biodiversity' loss is left with little emphasis. It is true that the direct effects of biodiversity loss to humans is sometimes hard to grasp, but it being one of the 9 planetary boundaries highlights its importance as a problem. This an example of what I would change in the hierarchy in the diagram. A similar argument could be made for 'Increased areosols'.

      Delete